What is the difference between a rebuilt transmission vs used transmission?
Can I save more money?
Many car owners have to deal with broken transmissions. This is something that occurs on almost every car sooner or later. This is never an appealing proposition, since a faulty transmission can't be ignored and at the same time isn't exactly the cheapest thing to fix. When a transmission goes bad, it may need a simple repair or if the problem is severe, it may need a complete rebuild. But what is the difference between a rebuilt transmission vs used transmission? Can a used transmission really save me money? These are questions we hear from Charlotte NC car owners almost every day of the week.
Here's the difference between Rebuilt Transmission and a Used Transmission:
*a Used Transmission is a transmission that has been in a car for a certain number of miles, but is currently not in a vehicle -- commonly sold online and found in a junk yard
* Used transmissions usually carry 30 day warrantys, 1 year warranty, or no warranty at all
* Used transmissions come "as is" and may have weak internal parts which may lead to another transmission problem down the road.
* Rebuilt Transmission means that the transmission has new internal parts replaced, but still remains in the old transmission case.
* Soft parts such as gaskets, seals, filters, valves and clutch components are replaced in a rebuild when necessary
* Rebuilt transmissions are tested and carry a longer warranty than any used transmission
In conclusion, a used transmission may cost less than a rebuild, but it may not fix your problem. When you are purchasing a used transmission you are taking your chances. A used transmission may initially work after installed, but may also have pending internal damage to some of the gears, valves, or seals. If you purchase a used transmission that has such flaws or damage, you may have saved yourself a few hundred dollars at the beginning, only to spend twice to three times as much later when you still need to have the transmission rebuilt.